3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Can you hit "the wall" during training?

Is it possible to hit “the wall” during training? After a couple months of lackluster, unmotivated training, I think it is. I tell ya, I can’t seem to find the energy or drive to train like I did in the spring. I think because I hit my marathon goal time for the year back in July, I’m having a hard time staying motivated for the DSM marathon in October. It’s not that I don’t want to run it, because I do. It’s just that I don’t want to train as hard as I did in the spring and early summer. I was going balls-out with my workouts; Mondays were 60 minute recovery workouts, Wednesdays I was meeting with my trainer for an hour and Fridays were hour and a half hard workouts. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays were run days ranging from 6 – 22 miles, and I rested on Sundays. At that time I was really getting into the functional and leg workouts because I had never done them before, so it kept my attention and desire. I was seeing direct results in my running pace dropping steadily, so the reward for me was totally worth the effort. That was then. I think it’s safe to say I’ve plateaued with my training since the Okoboji marathon in July. Though I understand that my per minute pace time can’t always drop like it had been, I get that, but I’m to the point that even running doesn’t interest me like it used to. Now I’m running because I have to, not because I want to. I remember going through this when I trained for my first marathon in 2007; towards the end of my training I was running because that’s what the training group was doing. And if I didn’t do it, I thought I wouldn’t be able to run the marathon. But, when I finished that marathon, all the thoughts and feelings of the mentally challenging training vanished and were replaced by tears of joy and the incredible high of doing something I never thought possible (yes, I actually cried when I finished my first marathon; I was overwhelmed with emotion).

So, it is 2007 all over again? Part of me doesn’t think so. I say that because this time I know what to expect when finishing a big race. Granted, no two finishes are ever the same, but I’ve got perspective that I didn’t have in ’07. This time it’s different. Lately I’ve been asking myself if I really want to run the DSM marathon. My answer is always “yes”, but to what extent? Because I’ve plateaued in my training, I don’t feel like I’ll be able to better my PR from July. So it’s hard to stay motivated to run 26.2 miles “just for the shirt” as they say. Again, I get that I’m not always going to be able to run faster than the time before, but having that revelation sink in has been a factor lately when it comes to motivation. OK, so I don’t know I won’t run faster, but based on my training output and lack of motivation lately, it feels like it’s not going to happen. Next year I’ll be on a quest to qualify for the 2011 Boston Marathon, so that training should keep my attention and dedication. I seem to be in a lull since last month. I wonder how long it will last. Since my “official” training for Boston doesn’t start until January, it could be a while before I snap out of it.

So, what say you devoted readers of the GimpyRunning blog? All two of you. :-) What’s your take on my dilemma? Am I burnt out or just a wuss that needs to suck it up and train? I’d like to know your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Set some new goals and keep going dude! They don't have to be big goals but something to keep you interested and motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you already know my thoughts here... :-) But I'm just the wife so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take my advice, from someone who knows what it feels like and what happens when one is over training. My advice: take a week or two of active recovery. What's that mean? Do something different then what you are doing now. Take a break from running, go hiking, biking or play some golf. Something that's not as intense. If you go biking go at an easy pace. Your fitness level is high enough to allow yourself some room to ease back for a week or two. Get good rest and eat well (good food not junk). If you allow yourself to do this you will find that you will come back stronger and refreshed. If you by pass this advice you may run yourself into overuse and injury which will force you into taking time off. Do go there! Even pro athletes use this type of training method. About every 4th week of training should be an active recovery week. Easing down on the intensity to build you up for an other 3 weeks of productive work.

    Just some advice from an old gimpy runner/trainer/LMT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd better keep at it or next thing you know you'll have a serious "bloody nipple" problem on your hands come game day.

    ReplyDelete