3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Monday, August 3, 2009

Active Training Weekend

Greetings and happy Monday to everyone.

The Jones household had a busy training weekend. I was all set to run Saturday morning with the Capital Striders, but when my alarm went off at 5:15AM, I promptly turned it off and rolled back over for more sleep. I woke up when Spencer and Ty came in at 8:22 and were looking for breakfast. So I didn't get to my run until later that afternoon.

Since is was cool and breezy, I went ahead and ran my step-back 16 miles in the middle of the afternoon. I don't normally run my long runs at that time, but I thought I'd give it a shot since the weather was cooperating. The first 6 miles flew by and everything felt good. By mile 7 I was getting tired for the first time and was stuck running into the wind from DMACC to Casey's at 3rd & Ankeny Blvd. After a quick stop for water at Casey, I continued to 1st St, down to Trilene and by the time I got to Briarwood Golf Course, I was officially tired and looking for water. I was able to make it to the Casey's at 36th and Hwy 69 for another water break, but was getting more and more tired by the minute. I walked a bit then headed west on 36th to State St. Which was all up hill. Which I hadn't realized until I was running it. Isn't it amazing how you never really see how hilly a street is when you're driving on it? The entire time I was on 36th, I was running up hill. And it sucked. I was running against a cross-wind the entire way and there is nothing out there to slow the wind. But, the good news is that when I turned south on State St, It was downhill and down wind. Totally made up for the last two miles I had run on 36th St.

By the time I got to 18th & Irvingdale my legs were tired and heavy. And my right hamstring was tight and getting tighter with each stride. To protect both my hammy's, I ended up walking a few times during my last 2 miles in. I don't normally walk that much (shot my per/minute time), but was worried that if I over did it, I'd possibly pull a hamstring. And that would be the end of the DSM marathon just like that.

In the end, 16 miles in 2:18:00 (8:37/mile). Not what I was hoping for time-wise, but finished it without an injury. Next week's long run is 20 miles. Hopefully that will go better.

So that was Saturday. Sunday Shannon ran 6.4 miles in the morning and I went for a quick 10 mile bike ride. I had taken my tri bike (Specialized Allez Elite) in on Tuesday for a tune up and didn't get it back until Saturday. It was nice to be on the wheels again, but I had forgotten how tiring biking could be when you're trying to maintain a certain mph throughout a ride. For now, I'm trying to keep it between 15 - 18 mph until I can log some longer rides. Then I'll think about kicking up to 20 mph. We'll see how that goes....

So after a long run Saturday and a bike ride Sunday afternoon, I played volleyball in league Sunday night and, surprise, surprise, had no legs whatsoever. It felt like I was trying to jump out of quick sand. I just couldn't get my legs to come around. So, lesson learned for me - no biking in the afternoon, two hours before volleyball. DOH!

On a side note, I'm going to try and get my hands on some pictures from the events I've done this year. I'm hoping to get them posted yet this week. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Jonesy! I want you to know that I spent my younger years swimming, fishing, and peeing in the water at Hickory Grove.

    Hope you did not swallow any water.

    ReplyDelete