3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hickory Grove Triathon Photos

OK gang, it's been a while since my last updated. Here's what's been going on...

For the past few weeks, I've been in a good training groove gearing up for the Hickory Grove Triathlon. Tuesdays are run/swim/run days that consist of running 2 miles from downtown DSM to Gray's Lake, swimming 2 - 3 laps around the buoys (at the beach), then running the 2 miles back to the gym downtown. I've been in this Tuesday training routine for the past 6 weeks. Thursdays are still medium length run days where I've been averaging 7 - 9 miles each run. And Saturdays are the long runs. In between those are the usual functional workout sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

My last few long runs have sucked. Yep, straight up been grinders that haven't felt good at all. Lately it's been my hips and lower back that have been bothering me a bit, but I think that may be from my shoes being old. In thinking back, I've had them about four months now, so time to get some new kicks. That's usually how I know my shoes have flattened out; when my back, hips and legs start aching.

Solid training, but challenging long runs for the past month gave me mixed feelings going into last weekend's triathlon. The Hickory Grove Tri - at Hickory Grove Park by Colo, IA - was my first tri since Cyman last September. Though I felt ready training-wise, I was still nervously excited to get it over with, so to speak. Because last year's tri was my first, I felt like I stood a good chance to post a better time with the HGTri. HGTri is a sprint triathlon consisting of a 500 yard swim, 15.5 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. Cyman is also a sprint tri and since it was my first one last year, my goal was just to finish it. With the HGTri, I was hoping to better each of my leg times. And I'm happy to say that I did just that! Here is a breakdown of my times:

500 yd Swim - 10:52
Transition 1 - 2:20
15.5 m Bike - 48:47
Transition 2 - 0:47
3.1 m Run - 22:30

Total time - 1:25:18

I bested my 2008 Cyman time by 22 minutes! The 2009 Cyman Triathlon is in three weeks where I'm hoping to shave off a few more minutes of my overall time. I think where I can improve the most is in the swim (I'm hoping for a 10 minute swim) and on the bike (Cyman is a mile shorter bike route, so hoping for 45 minutes). I'll keep everyone posted as to how Cyman goes in a few weeks. Until then, here are some pics that Shannon took at HGTri. Enjoy...

Getting In…



Swimming along…















Making sure I’m not the last one out of the water in my heat…























Heading to Transition Area…





















Hitting the road on the bike...
















This is what Chris and the boys do while I’m racing…
















Out of Transition…





















The final sprint…





















The finish…






















Heading home…
























The countdown is on to Cyman Triathlon on September 13, 2009. I invite everyone to come out and check out the action. Oh, and to see me in a Speedo! OK, that’s probably not the best way to recruit a large cheering section, but nonetheless, it’s a spectator-friendly tri and I’m sure you’d have a good time.
Until then, I’ll stay in training, drinking my “girlie beer” as Weirson would put it, gearing up for the next event…
















1 comment:

  1. I would like for you to *not* be in training sometime soon, so we can get knock down, drag out drunk, pig out on BWW, and play some flag football. Maybe not all at once.

    ReplyDelete