3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Thursday, July 9, 2009

07/09/2009 Training Run

I see I've picked up a couple followers to this here blog. Obviously more will start coming in droves once news of this spectacular blogspot hits the mainstream outlets. OK, who am I kidding. But I guy can dream, can't he?

Anyway, onto the today's run. Today was just a quick 8 miler commonly known to my running group as "Art Center Loop". Starting at Nationwide Insurance (where I meet up with my fellow pavement pounders) on the corner of 10th & Grand, we head West up Grand to 45th St (the entrance to the Art Center). We follow 45th South past the creepy, algae-invested pond; past the swimming pool and hook into the John Pat Dorian trail. Following the trail to the river and eventually the back side of Water Works park, we reach our unofficial walking point: the pedestrian bridge the crosses over the Des Moines river. After the short walk, we follow Water Works Park Rd East back to entrance of the park at Fleur Dr. Crossing Fleur at the entrance of Grays Lake, we jump onto the walking path along the river, heading North back towards downtown. A quick shot over the George Washington Carver Bridge and another left (North) turn onto 16th St and we find ourselves back at Grand Ave. Taking Grand East into downtown and ending back at Nationwide at 10th & Grand. Total length of the route is close to 8 miles. I throw in an extra .5 miles since I'm running to and from Gym F/X. So a little over 8 miles for me.

Today's run was ideal. Uncharacteristically cool temps thanks to the cloud cover with a slight breeze from the North made for a quick pace. I don't have a Garman GPS watch, but my guess is that it felt like a 7:40ish pace. As usual, the conversation and company were top-notch (we covered Mike Jackson to Steve McNair to 80/35 Fest and the music industry). I'm still feeling the affects of yesterdays workout as far as tired muscles go (met with my new trainer and he put me through the ringer), but nothing that kept me from having a good run.

Next run is this Saturday's training run. My last run before the Okoboji Marathon (July 18th): a nice and easy 16 mile step-back run. More details on that run to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment