3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tired Legs

I have tired legs....still. I ended up taking this past Monday off from working out as a reward for my showing at the Okoboji Marathon last Saturday. Though I didn't workout, I did "loop the lake" (walked around Gray's Lake) with Lori, so I wasn't doing absolutely nothing on my day off. :-) So, as of Tuesday, I consider myself right back into "training" for the DSM marathon and a couple triathlons I have my eyes on. Tuesday's and today's run were good from a cardio workout and breathing stand point, but my legs felt heavy and sluggish during both runs. The DSM marathon is in October and having already achieved my time goal for the year last weekend, I'm trying to figure out what type of run I want it to be. I was hoping for 3:30:00 for DSM in October, but now I wonder if I shouldn't set my sights on trying for a better time. Or, maybe I should just back-off on my training and just run DSM for "fun". I know, I know, who runs marathons just for fun?!?! According to Shannon, I do. :-) I will admit, all of a sudden I find myself within striking distance of my Boston Marathon qualifying time: 3:10:59 for my age group (it seems like I'm a ways away from that time, but to my credit, I've knocked 38 minutes off my marathon time over my last two marathons - 20 minutes of that was between last October to now). It's a stretch, and probably not very likely that I'll hit that time this October, but I'm giving serious thought to trying to quality for Boston this year. So again, I'm back to what type of DSM Marathon I should run: just for fun and start the "serious" Boston training next year; or kick it up a notch now so I don't have as far to go next year? I suppose this weekend's long run will be a determining factor. I'm curious to see how my body responds to a to a fairly lengthy "long run" having just ran the 'thon last weekend; I'll probably go 18 miles this Saturday morning. If it feels good, then I might be inclined to continue grinding out my training to see how much more, if any, time I can knock off running the DSM Marathon. If Saturday's run feels like junk, then maybe I'll step-back the hard running for a while and just focus on keeping my cardio up. I guess I'll find out Saturday. I'll let everyone know on Monday what the verdict is. Until then, I'm patiently waiting for my legs to stop being tired. LOL.

2 comments: