3.1, 6.2, 12.4, 13.1, 26.2

Monday, July 13, 2009

T-minus 5 Days to Okoboji Marathon

I'm inside a week before the hilliest marathon I've run to-date and my lazy ass didn't run my last tune-up run this past weekend. Chalk it up to the busiest weekend I've had in a couple years (poker Friday night, Summerfest activities Saturday morning - afternoon, Barnstormer's game and UFC fight Saturday night).

Waking up Sunday morning for my long run - I pushed the run back from Saturday because with poker night being the Friday before, I knew I wouldn't bet much sleep that night - it was picture-perfect for a run; cool temps, little breeze and just enough cloud cover to keep me from getting fried on the run. I got up around my usual Sunday morning time (6:30AM) to let the puppy out for her morning business and as I sat on the deck waiting for Cede to finish I thought to myself, "man, it's an awesome morning". But instead of jumping into my running gear when I got back inside, I made a pot of coffee, turned on Pokemon (for Spencer - naturally he was up and at 'em by then) and returned to the deck. Sure, I would've liked to knock out my finally taper run before the marathon, but I just couldn't get my lazy butt off the outdoor love seat on the deck. It was nice to sit and take-in the quiet morning with my coffee and overly-rambunctious puppy (she chased her tail for the better part of 20 minutes). I haven't just sat and enjoyed a sunrise in a long time.

After a half hour or so of just sitting and sipping java, Shannon finally found me and joined me on the deck. Before long Ty joined us as well and we all sat for close to an hour and a half enjoying the morning. It was that last refreshing morning cleansing I was hoping for before the big race next week.

So though I didn't physically run to round-out my preparation for the race, I mentally prepared and relaxed my way through the morning to officially finish my training for the Okoboji Marathon next week. This will be the first time that I've fully rested the week before a 'thon, so we'll see if this strategy pays off (if it works for LDV, it can work for me, right?). Then again, I might be kicking myself next week for slacking this week.... I guess I'll find out in 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment